Tuesday, June 4, 2013

All About Eyeshadow Primer (Urban Decay Primer Potion Review and my Favorite Priming Technique)

So today, we're going back to basics! Many people already understand the importance of eyeshadow primer, but I will be talking about my favorite primer technique and a great primer for especially oily eyelids, too! And for those who aren't too sure about eyeshadow primer, this post should definitely help you :)
For those of you wondering what is eyeshadow primer? eyeshadow primer is basically exactly what the name says it is-- it is a product that primes your eye area for the eyeshadow you put on top of it. It basically creates a good foundation for your eyeshadow (much better than your bare skin) and helps prevent creasing, makes your eyeshadow more vibrant and last longer, and makes your eyeshadow apply more smoothly. It's basically a miracle product! I never put on eyeshadow without it.
But like any product, different eyeshadow primers work for different people. To begin, I'll share with you all my favorite eyeshadow primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion!
 
 
This is probably the most popular eyeshadow primer on the market, and for good reason! It works beautifully to make eyeshadows more vibrant, apply smoothly, and not crease at all!
 
 
The formula is very creamy and starts as a skintone color, but once blended out it is basically colorless on the eyes. One tube lasts FOREVER (I had mine for well over a year before it ran out) even if you use it every day. Oh and the packaging is great--it doesn't waste any product!
I must include that some people have experienced trouble blending their eyeshadows after applying this because it is so "grippy" I guess you could say. I find that Paint Pots are the same way and so I have always solved this problem by applying a skintone colored eyeshadow all over the eye area (mostly the crease area) after applying primer or a base to take away the "stickiness" and make the shadow I put over top easier to blend.
I recommend this primer to basically everyone! For most people, this primer works wonderfully, but for those with an extremely oily eye area, it may not work as well and I will recommend another product a little later in the post :) Oh, and this primer actually comes in four shades if you want a little color to your primer!
I love my UDPP, but I have a pretty uneven skintone on my eyelids, and it doesn't take care of that. So to fix this, I simply layer products! First I use my UDPP, and overtop I use my Mac Paint Pot in Soft Ochre (I am aware that UDPP comes in a skintone shade, but I have come to like this technique so much that I haven't tried that shade yet).
 
I have found that using Soft Ochre in conjunction with UDPP not only evens out my eyelids, but increases the vibrancy of my eyeshadow even more and prolongs the staying power! If you have a problem with uneven skintone on your eyes or feel like your eyeshadows are still not vibrant enough, or want to increase the staying power of your shadow even more, I really suggest layering a primer with a skin colored eyeshadow base (it may make the shadow harder to blend, but this can be easily fixed by applying a base eyeshadow over it like I mentioned earlier). To learn a little more about Mac Paint Pots and see some that you could use for this technique click here :)
**Quick sidenote-- you can use eyeshadow primer under any type of eyeshadow: cream, powder, etc. I use it underneath cream shadows, other eyeshadow bases, cream eyeshadow sticks, you name it.
For some people, UDPP doesn't work quite as well because they have extremely oily eyelids, so for those of you who think that UDPP is not for you and feel like you need a stronger, more heavy-duty primer, I suggest the Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. I have heard this primer recommended by people with an EXTREMELY oily eye area, and they have claimed that it keeps their eyeshadow looking perfect all day long. Using this primer with the technique of using a Paint Pot over top of it, I can't imagine your eyeshadow budging!
 
So there you have it: an explanation of the importance of primer, my favorite shadow primer, my favorite technique, and a great primer for those of you who need a little more to keep your shadow on! Keep in mind that as with all things in makeup, it's all about preference and what works for you. You may not need to use a Paint Pot over top of your primer, that's just what works for me! All of this is just what I have learned from my personal experience.
I hope this post wasn't too overwhelming! I hope this was helpful and that it covered any questions you had! If not, feel free to comment and ask them, because I would love to answer your questions :)
Thank you so much for reading!!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment